Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Why Teach Science
I think it is important to teach science because without science, we wouldn't know anything about our history, present, or future. Science is the 'what', 'why', and 'how' behind everything around us, including ourselves. If we didn't have science, we would think everything is magic or some other random phenomenon without explanation. Students need science to explain the world around them. Science bridges the gap between the unknown and known. Science helps students think logically, analytically, and creatively. Science is very interesting and helps promote higher order thinking. I feel that science is a great way to tap into students interests as well. If you have a student that is interested in skateboarding, gardening, or music, you can find a scientific explanation for just about anything!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In your post you said, "Science helps students think logically, analytically, and creatively." Notice how this fits perfectly with your goals for students! Too often we get bogged down by the content of science and forget we can use science instruction to promote our goals.
ReplyDeleteI agree Nicole. With out science we really wouldn't know anything about the worlds past. How crazy would it be to just assume everything that has ever happened on our planet happened because of magic? I love that you related other activities to science. Student will be more intrigued and eager to learn if they can relate it to something that they enjoy doing.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you! I like how you said, "Science bridges the gap between the unknown and known". I think it is important that we teach students how to explore!
ReplyDeleteI really like what you said at the end about finding something to connect with each students interest through science. Like in any class we take we talk about how important it is to tap into the students interest. Keep them intrigued and keep them on task. Science is a great way to do that.
ReplyDelete