Friday, February 18, 2011

Myths and Characteristics of How Science Works

So I've been thinking about some of the myths and characteristics about how science works. After examining my list, I think some of the points could go in either category. Some of the myths could be considered characteristics and some of the characteristics could be myths. Hmmm.... I'm not sure. But this is what I came up with:

Myths
·         Science is a long process of trial and error
·         Only scientists can perform scientific experiments
·         Science experiments mostly take place in labs
·         Science processes are overly complicated

Characteristics
·         Trial and error are essential to science experiments
·         Science processes can change and improve
·         Science is a process of questions, observations, and collecting data

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about how the trial and error could go into both categories. I didn't come up with the one you had in the characteristic category stating that science processes can change and improve. That is a good point that I didn't think of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the characteristics you pointed out especially that trial and error are essential to science experiments. I think it is very important for students to understand that the result may not be perfect or come out exactly right the first time, so its ok to try over again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the myth about science being a LONG process was a great point. I would say that would be a myth I held true. It is encouraging to know that it isn't always a LONG process.

    ReplyDelete