Sunday, January 30, 2011

Difficult Standard

I think the standard I will struggle the most with will be Cohesion of Framework. I think I will struggle with this standard because being able to put all the pieces together of teaching and learning can be a challenge. The challenging part of proving my proficiency with this standard will be clearly articulating my knowledge. Sometimes I feel like I have all these great ideas in my head, but sometimes I feel I am not communicating them in the best way possible. However, I hope that this course will help put all my ideas, thoughts, and understandings regarding teaching and learning together in a clear and well articulated discussion. 

4 comments:

  1. Nicole , I think this is a standard that many people struggle with when they are first starting to teach. We have spent many years in the classroom learning how to teach and learning all these strategies in how to teach your students, but then it feels like we dont know how to turn our great lesson ideas into something we can teach with. I too hope to learn from this class and hope that it will help straighten out my ideas and thoughts so that I can be a better teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I have the same challenges; knowing what should be done, having plans laid out, but still struggling with follow through of keeping it all in order. And more important than in a class or in an assessment, it's considering the teacher who has a hundred things to juggle every day, and maintaining all aspects of effective teaching sounds impossible.

    "Deep intigration of concepts" is one thing in one assignment or one test response, it will be quite a different deal living it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Articulation of your knowledge is something on which many people don't place enough emphasis. To help yourself get better at articulating the ideas I have several suggestions:

    1) Participate often in class.
    2) Explain the things you're learning to someone not in class.
    3) Take your time when writing all assignments - writing well is very very difficult and is a great exercise in learning to clearly articulate yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your thought process on this one. I can for sure relate with the concern that you feel like you have so many great ideas and beliefs but being able to connect them all and articulate them correctly is scary and intimidating. I hope to learn how to make strong and effective connections between all the standards and my teaching. This is something I am very nervous and excited to learn about.

    ReplyDelete